New Delhi: The security forces shot dead two militants, including Lashkar-e- Taiba (LeT) commander Umar Mustaq Khandey, in a gunfight in Drangbal area of Pampore in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Saturday.
“Two terrorists killed. Incriminating materials, including arms and ammunition, recovered. Search going on. Further details shall follow,” police said, ANI reported.
READ: IAF Chief Visits Forward Areas In Ladakh Amid Border Tensions With China, Reviews Preparedness
Informing about the same, the police said it is committed to hunt down the terrorists, who try to create fear among the masses and spread mischief and tumult in the valley
“LeT #terrorist Umar Mustaq Khandey who martyred our 2 colleagues SgCT Mohammad Yousf and Ct Suhail Ah in Baghat Srinagar while they were having tea, #neutralised in Drangbal, #Pampore. Amongst various other crimes of the terrorists, this stands out as most unforgivable,” Kashmir Zone Police said in a tweet.
“We are committed to #hunt down these #terrorists who try to create fear among masses and spread mischief & tumult in the valley. Such elements and their name should be excised from society,” Kashmir Zone Police posted on the micro-blogging platform.
In a fresh incident, the terrorists fired upon two non-local labourers in Srinagar and Pulwama.
Arvind Kumar Shah of Banka, Bihar, succumbed to his injuries in Srinagar, while Sagir Ahmad of Uttar Pradesh was critically injured in Pulwama.
“#Terrorists fired upon 2 #NonLocal labourers in #Srinagar & #Pulwama. Shri Arvind Kumar Shah of Banka Bihar #succumbed to injuries in Srinagar and Shri Sagir Ahmad of UP #critically injured in Pulwama. Areas have been cordoned & searches started,” Kashmir Zone Police tweeted.
Meanwhile, National Security Guard (NSG) chief M.A. Ganapathy said counter-terrorism commando force has been deployed at the Indian Air Force (IAF) stations in Srinagar and Jammu to provide anti-drone security cover to these vital installations.
Ganapathy added the federal counter-terrorist and counter-hijack commando force is enhancing its “counter-terrorism profile” and preparing itself to meet the emerging security challenges, PTI reported.
The two IAF facilities, located close to the border with neighbouring nation Pakistan, are categorized as “sensitive” installations.
ALSO READ: Four CRPF Personnel Sustain Minor Injuries In A Blast At Raipur Railway Station
10 Things To Know About Pampore Encounter:
- The killed terrorists have been identified as Umar Mustaq Khandey and Shahid Basir
- Both were involved in killings of several civilians and policemen besides other terror crimes
- Security forces recovered arms and ammunition from the spot
- The gunfight between the terrorists and security forces took place after a joint team of the police and the army cordoned off the area
- The joint team launched a search operation on the basis of information about the terrorists’ presence
- Umar Mustaq Khandey killed Selection Grade Constable (SgCt) Mohammad Yousuf and Constable Suhail Ahmad in Srinagar
- The incident took place while the cops were having tea at a shop earlier in February this year
- Jammu and Kashmir Police began its offensive operations after the attacks on civilians
- 13 terrorists killed in nine encounters so far
- Jammu and Kashmir Police to continue its offensive operations