29.8 C
Ontario
Friday, September 24, 2021

Edmonton dog rushed to emergency vet after consuming THC


A woman house-sitting in Edmonton had to rush the homeowner’s dog to an emergency vet after he consumed THC, the compound found in cannabis.

Jessica Serbu noticed the three-year-old golden lab named Puma was behaving oddly an hour and a half after she took him for a walk around the neighbourhood.

“He was flinching if I got too close to him. He was disoriented,” Serbu said.

“He started peeing uncontrollably, and this is very odd behaviour for Puma because he’s a very energetic dog, three-year-old Lab,” Serbu said. “At one point even earlier in the day, he stumbled getting onto the couch, like he missed the couch entirely.”

Read more:
‘It was terrifying’: Why legalization may be increasing pot’s perils to pets

Serbu knew something was wrong and rushed him to an emergency vet, but it was no small feat to get him there.

Story continues below advertisement

“An animal on THC is extremely lethargic. They find it hard to move, so getting a 90-pound Lab into the car was the first major challenge for me,” Serbu said.

“I took him to the emergency vet clinic, and they brought him inside and diagnosed him with THC consumption.”

Read more:
Edmonton dogs fall ill after ingesting marijuana on walks

The vet told Serbu that it can even be fatal for some dogs if they consume THC — similar to the dangers of chocolate for them — and clinics are seeing more and more cases lately.

“The vet said that it was becoming more common since the legalization of marijuana, that people are improperly disposing of their butts or even their edibles,” Serbu said.

“The vet told me that the smell of marijuana is very enticing to dogs.”

Read more:
‘He was pretty paranoid’: Dog owner issues warning after pet gets high on walk

The vet who treated Puma told Serbu that THC also takes longer to wear off on dogs. That proved to be the case for Puma.

“Four days after Puma originally consumed whatever he consumed, he was still displaying odd behaviour,” Serbu said.

Story continues below advertisement

Puma made a full recovery and is already back to his old self.

But the whole experience is a wake-up call for people to be on the lookout when dog-walking and for THC users to ensure they’re the only ones getting high on their own supply by disposing of products properly.




© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Latest news

Canadian goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe shares mental health struggles during Tokyo Olympics

Stephanie Labbe, whose heroics in goal helped Canada win gold at the Tokyo Olympics, says she could not train for part of the...

2 Dead In Assam Protests; Man Beaten With Sticks, Shot On Camera

<!-- -->The police told NDTV that locals resisted the eviction drive and started pelting stonesNew Delhi: Two civilians have died and nine policemen...

Downtown drop-in vaccination clinic aims to help Calgary’s most vulnerable – Calgary

Access to COVID-19 vaccines for vulnerable populations continues to be an ongoing issue, medical experts say, but a coalition of agencies in Calgary...
Related news

Canadian goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe shares mental health struggles during Tokyo Olympics

Stephanie Labbe, whose heroics in goal helped Canada win gold at the Tokyo Olympics, says she could not train for part of the...

2 Dead In Assam Protests; Man Beaten With Sticks, Shot On Camera

<!-- -->The police told NDTV that locals resisted the eviction drive and started pelting stonesNew Delhi: Two civilians have died and nine policemen...

Downtown drop-in vaccination clinic aims to help Calgary’s most vulnerable – Calgary

Access to COVID-19 vaccines for vulnerable populations continues to be an ongoing issue, medical experts say, but a coalition of agencies in Calgary...