27.7 C
Ontario
Saturday, July 24, 2021

Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital opens as a ‘full-service hospital’ after being exclusively for COVID


A hospital in Vaughan that opened earlier this year — and was exclusively dedicated to the COVID-19 response — is now open as a “full-service” hospital as hospitalizations across the province continue to improve.

In a statement issued Sunday, Mackenzie Health said Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital is ready to serve all residents of western York Reigon including Vaughan, Richmond HIll and King.

“Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital is the first net new hospital to open in Ontario in 30 years, the first hospital for the city of Vaughan and Canada’s first smart hospital,” Mackenzie Health said.

Read more:
New Vaughan hospital to initially be dedicated to alleviating COVID-19 pressures

Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital opened in February and was used entirely to support the pandemic and provide relief to the health care system.

Story continues below advertisement

Mackenzie Health said the hospital cared for the highest proportion of COVID-19 patients in Ontario, with 514 patients transferred since it opened on Feb. 7.

Due to declining hospitalizations related to COVID-19, Mackenzie Health and the Ontario government decided that it was the right time to fully open Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital for the community.

The hospital opened the Magma Emergency at 10 a.m. Sunday.

Mackenzie Health now operates two hospitals, each with a full-service emergency department, specialized programs and core services such as surgery, medicine and critical care, the hospital system said.

Read more:
New hospital opens in Vaughan to help health system with COVID-19 care

“Today’s opening of Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital is a historic moment in our mission to end hallway health care in Ontario,” Premier Doug Ford said.

“In the heart of one of the fastest growing areas in Canada, this new hospital will ensure residents in Vaughan and surrounding communities receive the care they deserve for generations to come.”

On Sunday, Ontario reported 545 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, with 510 patients in intensive care units, and 344 patients in ICUs on a ventilator.

COVID-related hospitalizations have been on the decline since the third wave peak in April which saw more than 2,300 patients in ICUs.

Story continues below advertisement


Click to play video: 'Coronavirus: Ontario’s 1st net-new hospital in over 30 years to open in Vaughan, Ont. in coming weeks'







Coronavirus: Ontario’s 1st net-new hospital in over 30 years to open in Vaughan, Ont. in coming weeks


Coronavirus: Ontario’s 1st net-new hospital in over 30 years to open in Vaughan, Ont. in coming weeks – Jan 18, 2021

View link »





© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Latest news

Cubans living in Calgary gather to protest government crackdown in their homeland – Calgary

A small, but determined group of Calgarians with ties to Cuba rallied Friday evening to show solidarity with family and friends living in...

Political Solution Is The Only Outcome To Lasting Peace In Afghanistan, Says White House

Washington, Jul 24 (PTI): The US administration, led by President Joe Biden, believes lasting peace in Afghanistan...
Related news

Cubans living in Calgary gather to protest government crackdown in their homeland – Calgary

A small, but determined group of Calgarians with ties to Cuba rallied Friday evening to show solidarity with family and friends living in...

Political Solution Is The Only Outcome To Lasting Peace In Afghanistan, Says White House

Washington, Jul 24 (PTI): The US administration, led by President Joe Biden, believes lasting peace in Afghanistan...